Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Winter and greeting cards

Well the first year of doing postcards and greeting cards was a learning experience.  I tried rummage sale, a craft fair, and a flea market.  I need to get out there and try to make some contacts again.  I think that consignment deals will be a good fit for me, because I wouldn't need to be doing the work to make the sale.  That would let me focus on taking more photos and designing postcards, greeting cards, magnets, calendars, et cetera.
I also think that it would be great to sell online.  I am not ready to sell directly on the webpage; I don't quite know what I'm doing yet as far as the technical end.  I did look into ebay, but their fees are large.  They charge 10%-15%, plus using paypal for secure payment incurs a fee.  When you add in the sales tax (all my prices are tax included), there is no margin left for profit to sell with ebay.  I also looked at Etsy, but I don't meet the qualifications.  My products are not handmade.  I design my products with photos that I take and upload them to a printer.  The quality is so much better than I could do at home.
I choose to brand my products as quality photos of landscapes, waterfalls, wildlife, flowers, etc. placed on postcards, greeting cards, etc.  I also choose to price my products affordably.
I can't wait to see how this tiny business grows.


I tried calendars and I sold a few.  I also tried Christmas postcards with envelopes.  I sold a few of those as well.  I still have a large quantity of Christmas postcards, so I am ahead of the game for next Christmas, lol.

Currently I have various quantities of my first generation of greeting cards and postcards.  Themes include: waterfalls, wildlife, flowers.  There are 8 postcard designs and 10 greeting card designs.  There is some information here   http://hikerauthor.com/greeting_cards
For anyone interested in ordering, please email me  glen@hikerauthor.com
I will try to get more photos up when I have time.  I can ship orders via U S mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment